- Best Lawyers in America (First Amendment Law) 1995 â€“ present
- Northern California Super Lawyers (Media & First Amendment) 2005 â€“ present
- Chambers USA Leading Business Lawyers (Media & Entertainment) 2003 â€“ 2011
- James Madison Freedom of Information Award for Legal Counsel, Northern California Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists 2013
â€‹(for 26 years of leadership as an attorney, educator and organizational leader in defense of reporters and news organizations fighting FOI and defamation cases)
Professional experience and teaching
- 1997â€“present: Sole practitioner, Capitola and Soquel, CA
- 1996â€“1997: Founding Partner, Genesis Law Group, San Jose, CA
- 1984â€“1996: Associate and Senior Counsel, Pillsbury Madison & Sutro
- (now Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman), San Jose, CA
- 1997â€“1998: Lecturer, San Jose State University Journalism School
- (Course: Media Law and Ethics).
- 1990â€“1994: Adjunct Professor, Santa Clara University Law School
- (Course: Media Law).
- 1985â€“1986: Visiting Asst. Professor of Law, Santa Clara University Law School (Courses: Constitutional Law, Real Property, Legal Research & Writing).
- Santa Clara University Law School, J.D., 1984, summa cum laude, class rank 1/223.
- Lone Mountain College, Master of Fine Arts, 1978.
- Western Oregon State University, B.S., 1976.